@MountainMutts TY 4 Following! Woof!
07 June 2011
Diatomaceous Earth is not earth, but it comes from the earth... sort of.
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is a pure organic substance, it does away with fleas, lice, parasites, worms, deodorizes and absorbs liquid - people take it internally for health reasons, it has so many uses I can't list them all and it works by phyiscal action - not chemical action.
The diatomaceous earth coats the insects body, when the insect moves the DE scratches the waxy coating off them and they dehydrate and die.
Diatomaceous earth is a siliceous sedimentary rock that is easily crumbled into fine white powder. This powder is composed of fossilized remains of microscopic shells created by diatoms, a hard shelled algae, which makes the powder abrasive but very light because it is porous.
There are two types of diatomaceous earth:
Pool Filter Diatomaceous Earth and Horticultural Diatomaceous Earth
That can also be separated into Horticultural Diatomaceous Earth and Food Grade Horticultural Diatomaceous Earth
NOTE: Always use Food Grade DE...pool filter DE is poisonous to humans and animals
I have used Food Grade DE for insect control around the house and I used it when my dogs had lice...I put it in their fur.
DE has hundreds of uses, I have never taken it internally or given it to my pets for ingestion but many people do, after watching the video and researching if you decide to use it please check with your vet or doctor.
Note: Make sure you and your pet do not inhale the powder...check instructions on package...